Sunday, June 4, 2017

Book Review: Truthwitch by Susan Dennard

Release Date: January 5th, 2016
Read: May 12th-June 4th, 2017
Publisher: Tor Teen
Series: Witchlands, #1
Format: Paperback, 432 pages
Source: Bought




Description from GoodReads:



   In a continent on the edge of war, two witches hold its fate in their hands.

   Young witches Safiya and Iseult have a habit of finding trouble. After clashing with a powerful Guildmaster and his ruthless Bloodwitch bodyguard, the friends are forced to flee their home.

   Safi must avoid capture at all costs as she's a rare Truthwitch, able to discern truth from lies. Many would kill for her magic, so Safi must keep it hidden - lest she be used in the struggle between empires. And Iseult's true powers are hidden even from herself.

   In a chance encounter at Court, Safi meets Prince Merik and makes him a reluctant ally. However, his help may not slow down the Bloodwitch now hot on the girls' heels. All Safi and Iseult want is their freedom, but danger lies ahead. With war coming, treaties breaking and a magical contagion sweeping the land, the friends will have to fight emperors and mercenaries alike. For some will stop at nothing to get their hands on a Truthwitch.

Review:


   Sometimes justice was all about the small victories
   I've wanted to read Truthwitch since it released in early 2016, but of course my busy schedule always keeps me from all the books that I want to read. It was when I received an ARC of it's sequel, Windwitch, that I finally when out and bought a copy.

   Truthwitch wasn't what I was expecting, not at all. In a bunch of ways it reminded me of a bunch of other books mixed together, and could be confusing at times.  Throughout the book, I constantly felt Throne of Glass and The Infernal Devices vibes. From the two chosen ones, and kingdoms fighting, I couldn't help but always compare the storyline of Truthwitch to ToG. Then when it came to the characters, I always pictured Merik and Kullen as Will and Jem from TID.

   Overall, I did enjoy the witch powers that the kingdoms had, and their tattoos that marked who they were. I think the different levels to the powers, and the different powers themselves were fascinating. It made me curious as to all the different levels and kinds of powers that could be seen throughout the series.

   One thing stood constant throughout the book for me, I hardcore shipped Safiya and Iseult. With the connection they have as friends, it just felt like it could be something more in the end. So with the direction that the book went, I was a little disappointed but I still have hope for it to happen in the next two books or so.

   It took me a good while to get into Truthwitch, but in the end I'm happy to have picked it up. I look forward to seeing what happens to our characters in Windwitch.

Rating:


Favourite Quote:


"I’ll always follow you, Safi, and you’ll always follow me. Threadsisters to the end."

Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Fantasy, Witches, Magic, Chosen Ones, Sisters




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!