Sunday, February 12, 2017

Book Review: Like a River Glorious by Rae Carson

Release Date: September 27th, 2016
Read: December 28th-29th, 2016
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Series: The Golden Seer Trilogy, #2
Format: Hardcover, 406 pages
Source: Gifted



Description from GoodReads:


   He will never stop hunting me down. I have to end him, and soon.

   Lee Westfall survived the dangerous journey to California. She found a new family in the other outcasts of their wagon train, and Jefferson, her best friend, is beginning to woo her shamelessly. Now they have a real home—one rich in gold, thanks to Lee’s magical ability to sense the precious metal in the world around her.

   But Lee’s Uncle Hiram has survived his own journey west. He’s already murdered her parents, and he will do anything to have Lee and her talents under his control. No one is safe. When he kidnaps her, she sees firsthand the depths of his depravity.

   Lee’s magic is changing, though. It is growing. The gold no longer simply sings to her—it listens. It obeys her call. Will that alone be enough to destroy her uncle?

Review:


   Gold comes hard but goes easy.
   When I discovered Walk on Earth a Stranger back in 2015, I didn't realize that I discovered a treasure that would have me silently anticipating when the next book in the series would release. When Like a River Glorious was announced, I was in aw from the moment I heard about it to when the gorgeous cover was released. I wasted no time on getting my hands on a copy.
   The story starts up a little bit after Walk on Earth a Stranger ends, with the dangerous trek being over, the gang finally being able to find a place to settle. I really enjoyed how Carson was able to dedicate each of the books with a rather large part of the process in the California Gold Rush, with Like a River Glorious being dedicated to settlement.
   With the troubles of Lee's Uncle finally catching up to her, I really liked how Carson didn't downplay how bad the immigrants, who weren't white, and the indigenous people, had it when it came to colonization. Carson told history as it actually was, instead of downplaying what actually happened, it made the story feel all that more real.
   I loved Lee as our protagonist in Walk on Earth a Stranger, and I loved her even more in Like a River Glorious.  Lee grew up so much in the first book, that when it came to her in the sequel, she was almost a completely new person from who she was when we started the series. I found that her character just became such a strong independent woman, who was never afraid to fight for what she believed in. I hope that her character continues to develop more in the final book in the series.
   Like a River Glorious was as perfect as I hoped it would be, I can not wait to see how Rae Carson finishes the series on October 10th, 2017 with Into the Bright and Unknown.

Rating:



Favourite Quote:


"I’m still trying to figure how to make my own way, my own fortune." 

Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Adventure, The Gold Rush, Shoot Outs, Mining



1 comment:

  1. it's so good to know that the historical part of the novel was not compromised. I will definitely read this before the final novel is released! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!