Friday, January 13, 2017

Book Review: Heartless by Marissa Meyer

Release Date: November 8th, 2016
Read: November 5-7th, 2016
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Series: Standalone
Format: Signed ARC, 449 pages
Source: BEA 2016





Description from GoodReads:


   Catherine may be one of the most desired girls in Wonderland and a favorite of the unmarried King, but her interests lie elsewhere. A talented baker, she wants to open a shop and create delectable pastries. But for her mother, such a goal is unthinkable for a woman who could be a queen.

   At a royal ball where Cath is expected to receive the King’s marriage proposal, she meets handsome and mysterious Jest. For the first time, she feels the pull of true attraction. At the risk of offending the King and infuriating her parents, she and Jest enter into a secret courtship.


   Cath is determined to choose her own destiny. But in a land thriving with magic, madness, and monsters, fate has other plans. 

Review:


   Sometimes your heart is the only thing worth listening to.
   Marissa Meyer has been one of my favourite authors since Cinder first released, oh so long ago. When I finished Winter last year, I had thought that the wait for a new Meyer book would be a long one, but then Heartless was announced. At first I was a little bit skeptical, I'm not the biggest fan of Alice in Wonderland, but when I heard that it was going to be a retelling from the Villain or rather, the Queen of Hearts point of view, I knew I was a goner.
   Like most people I thought I was going to have to wait until November 2016 to read the book, but fortunately for me, and 5 hours of wasted time waiting in lines, I was able to get an ARC at BEA 2016. So I was able to read the book earlier, although not that much earlier.
   The book was a treat filled dream, Catherine, our main character was a baker, a baker with a dream of one day owning a bakery with her friend. From just saying that, you can expect treats galore in Heartless, you can also expect to be hungry the whole time you read it. Meyer described each of the treats perfectly to the point where I was constantly felt the need to be baking.
   Catherine was also just like your average villain, someone wanting the best for themselves but have it ruined for them. In Catherine's case, she was just born into the wrong family, thus having to follow the responsibilities that came with her family. It also didn't help that her parents didn't understand her at all, and what they thought was best for her, was really what was breaking her. At times it got to the point where you couldn't help but pity her.
   Overall for me the book was fabulous, the minute I picked it up, I couldn't put it down. Heartless was the perfect blend of sanity and insanity for when it comes to Wonderland, an insane treat filled Wonderland. I would recommend Heartless to anyone who is a fan of Alice in Wonderland or of Marissa Meyer, because in the end, it was definitely worth the 5 hour wait in line. 

Rating:


Favourite Quote:


It is a dangerous thing to unbelieve something only because it frightens you.

Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Fantasy, Retellings, Alice in Wonderland,  Villains, Pastries, Magic, Pumpkins



2 comments:

  1. I'm really curious how she turned bad in this book. I've started it when it first came out but I had to set it aside (I was bored). I like how this series is starting, though (is it a series?). I like how we're given a villain perspective first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hate that I still don't have a copy but I'm extremely glad you enjoyed this! I was really excited for this one generally because I LOVE the Lunar Chronicles and this Alice in Wonderland-based story sounds fabulous. Great review, Stephanie! :D

    czai @ the Blacksheep Reader

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!