Sunday, August 14, 2016

Book Review: Heir to the Sky by Amanda Sun

Release Date: April 26th, 2016
Read: August 3rd-5th, 2016
Publisher: HarlequinTeen
Series: Standalone
Format: Hardcover, 293 pages
Source: Bought




Description from GoodReads:



   As heir to a kingdom of floating continents, Kali has spent her life bound by limits—by her duties as a member of the royal family, by a forced betrothal to the son of a nobleman, and by the edge of the only world she’s ever known—a small island hovering above a monster-ridden earth, long since uninhabited by humans. She is the Eternal Flame of Hope for what’s left of mankind, the wick and the wax burning in service for her people, and for their revered Phoenix, whose magic keeps them aloft.

   When Kali falls off the edge of her kingdom and miraculously survives, she is shocked to discover there are still humans on the earth. Determined to get home, Kali entrusts a rugged monster-hunter named Griffin to guide her across a world overrun by chimera, storm dragons, basilisks, and other terrifying beasts. But the more time she spends on earth, the more dark truths she begins to uncover about her home in the sky, and the more resolute she is to start burning for herself.

Review:


   A monster is a monster.
   As you all know, I'm a rather big fan of Amanda Sun. I adored her Paper Gods series, and couldn't wait for her to release something new. With her being an insta buy, I went straight to the bookstore come April when Heir to the Sky released. 
   Monsters, who doesn't love them? At first when going into the book, I thought for sure that the monsters that the people of the continents meant, were 'savage' humans, that kind of thing. To my surprise they were real monsters, chimeras, dragons, leviathans, the whole bunch. Being mythology obsessed, I couldn't have been happier.
   Griffin was perhaps one of my favourite parts about the novel, I really enjoyed seeing him have so much hope in such a dire situation that was his world. Not to mention that he was a sweet, and very skilled monster hunter, talk about intriguing to read about. I didn't mind for Kali a whole lot, even if she was our main character. She reminded me of multiple characters that I've met before in other novels, a character that thinks her ways could not do any wrong, then deny the truth until finally giving into it. I just found nothing new with her. 
   I feel like if Sun really wanted too, she could have nicely managed to make Heir to the Sky a trilogy or a series. With so many monsters to discover, the rebellion, and all the different villages on the earth, I think there was definitely enough material to do a series. I'd certainly read more books if there were!
   Heir to the Sky was a stunning standalone, it was sweet and quick, with just enough mystery to let your imagination wander, not allowing you to stop thinking about it, and I once again can't wait to see what Amanda Sun has in store for us next. 


Rating:



Favourite Quote:


"I must burn for others, even if it means I will burn and crumble for whose path I light."

"I survived a whole day in a land overrun by monsters. I will survive another."

Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance, Dystopian, Monsters, Survival, Rebellions



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!