Friday, April 8, 2016

Book Review: Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevive Tucholke

Release Date: March 22nd, 2016
Read: March 9th-16th, 2016
Publisher: Dial Books
Series: N/A
Format: ARC, 256 pages
Source: McNally Robinson/ Be First Book Club




Description from GoodReads:


   Every story needs a hero.
   Every story needs a villain.
   Every story needs a secret.

   Wink is the odd, mysterious neighbor girl, wild red hair and freckles. Poppy is the blond bully and the beautiful, manipulative high school queen bee. Midnight is the sweet, uncertain boy caught between them. Wink. Poppy. Midnight. Two girls. One boy. Three voices that burst onto the page in short, sharp, bewitching chapters, and spiral swiftly and inexorably toward something terrible or tricky or tremendous.

   What really happened?
   Someone knows.
   Someone is lying.


Review:


   Everyone is afraid of dying, Midnight.
   Like everyone, I was excited for Wink Poppy Midnight. I had read Tucholke's debut novel more than a year ago, Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, so I knew to expect weird and unusual. I just didn't expect it to be that unusual.
   I did not enjoy the story that is Wink Poppy Midnight, I found it to be very confusing and nothing special. I went through the book slowly, and feeling like it would never end. The story was constant back and fourth, it was all repetitive.
   One thing stood out for me in the book though, and that was the food. Tuckolke would bring up unusual foods that aren't often thought of, and example would be Olive Oil Ice Cream. With owning an Olive Oil shop, I know the wonderfulness of it with Ice Cream. So having it brought up alongside other unique favourites, like pumpkin hot chocolate, fresh salad with basil and olive oil drizzled over it, overjoyed me.
   If you are ever looking for an usual read to mess with your mind, then Wink Poppy Midnight is the one for you.

Rating:

Favourite Quote:


"When you look into the darkness, the darkness looks into you."

"I get away with murder because I'm pretty."


Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Contemporary, Mystery, Tarot Cards, unique foods + living styles






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!