Saturday, December 26, 2015

Book Review: Dead of Winter by Kresley Cole

Release Date: January 6th, 2015
Read: December 11th-15th, 2015
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Series: The Arcana Chronicles, #3
Format: Hardcover, 336 pages
Source: Bought



Description from GoodReads:


   
   Heartbreaking decisions 
   Evie was almost seduced by the life of comfort that Death offered her—until Jack was threatened by two of the most horrific Arcana, the Lovers. She will do anything to save him, even escape Death’s uncanny prison, full of beautiful objects, material comforts…and stolen glances from a former love.

   Uncertain victory 
   Despite leaving a part of her heart behind with Death, Evie sets out into a perilous post-apocalyptic wasteland to meet up with her allies and launch an attack on the Lovers. Such formidable enemies require a battle plan, and the only way to kill them may mean Evie, Jack, and Death allying. Evie doesn’t know what will prove more impossible: surviving slavers, plague, Bagmen and other Arcana—or convincing Jack and Death to work together.

   Two heroes returned 
   There’s a thin line between love and hate, and Evie just doesn’t know where she stands with either Jack or Death. Will this unlikely trio be able to defeat The Lovers without killing one another first...?

Review:


   We will love you ever so much.
   The Arcana Chronicles has been one of my favourite series since I picked the Poison Princess from the library. The plot, the characters, I was fascinated with it all. Unfortunately the books are some what short and the waiting time is a little over a year for each of the new books, so with Dead of Winter I was going to wait till the fourth books released so that the heart break wouldn't be terrible. But of course my little sister became obsessed with the series too, and when she caught up, she started to continuously tease me about spoiling it if I didn't read it soon. So here I am.
   Dead of Winter did not disappoint, it was as exciting, exhilarating and aggravating as the first two books in the series. Kresley Cole took another step in the right direction when it came to everything, my favourite being the Arcana.
   My favourite part of the series is the Arcana, the game, the powers. It captivates me, I've never experienced a story or plot with them before, so I always need more when the books end. The way Cole develops her characters with these powers are my favourite, especially when Matthew literally tells us them in riddles but we don't figure them out until later. Death's touch, Evie's vines, Gabriel's wings, I need more!
   Continuing on with the Arcana, the Lovers had one of the most important roles in Dead of Winter and heck they had me creeped the heck out. At first when the characters mentioned their powers I was madly concerned but we had Death, so it was no big deal right? Wrong, it wasn't their powers that freaked me out. It was them in general, their obsession with love. They made me feel terrified of being in my own skin. Closer to the end of the book when we got to see the real Lovers, I actually thought I was going to vomit. So congrats to Cole for creating villains that will forever haunt my nightmares.
   Finally the triangle, I understand why people are so done with love triangles but usually with me, I don't mind them. As long as the girl/guy picks the right choice and isn't annoying/frustrating about it. With the Arcana Chronicles I was always on the same team, I have been since the beginning and will be till the end. Both guys had their faults, but Jack messed up in a way that Evie has difficulty with and Aric had already started to make amens for the mistakes he made. I would have thought the choice was clear, unfortunately in the end I think she made the wrong choice, and with the ending we got she'll just have to deal with her poor choices and face the consequences.
   Dead of Winter left me with a cliffhanger that my heart won't soon forget, but with the cliffhanger, it will bring us a great 4th book in the series as well as the Empress at her strongest. May 2016 better hurry the heck up because I was right about my initial foretelling of heartbreak, and now the only cure will be the next book.

Spoiler: Just in case anyone was curious, I am Team Aric forever and always. I just didn't want to say it above in case a reader has yet to read the book.


Rating:






Favourite Quote:


"Lies are curses you place on yourself. " 


Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance, Science Fiction, Dystopian, Tarot Cards, Magic





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!