Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Book Review: Wolf by Wolf by Ryan Graudin

Release Date: October 20th, 2015
Read: October 14th- 17th, 2015
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Series: Wolf by Wolf, #1
Format: ARC, 400 pages
Source: McNally Robinson/ Two Thumbs Up Program




Description from GoodReads:


   The year is 1956, and the Axis powers of the Third Reich and Imperial Japan rule the world. To commemorate their Great Victory over Britain and Russia, Hitler and Emperor Hirohito host the Axis Tour: an annual motorcycle race across their conjoined continents. The victor is awarded an audience with the highly reclusive Adolf Hitler at the Victor's ball.

   Yael, who escaped from a death camp, has one goal: Win the race and kill Hitler. A survivor of painful human experimentation, Yael has the power to skinshift and must complete her mission by impersonating last year's only female victor, Adele Wolfe. This deception becomes more difficult when Felix, Adele twin's brother, and Luka, her former love interest, enter the race and watch Yael's every move. But as Yael begins to get closer to the other competitors, can she bring herself to be as ruthless as she needs to be to avoid discovery and complete her mission?


Review:

   
   Tomorrow will not be forgiving.
   I did not expect much when I first heard of Wolf by Wolf, sure I had heard a bunch of bloggers rave on about it, but with a WWII theme I just didn't really picture the fantasy hint to it. To be honest, I pictured a Book Thief feel. So I was sure surprised, and very intrigued when I actually started the book. I'm glad McNally Robinson had this one for me!
   I loved the plot of the book, the race to end Hitler. Yael was the perfect character to pull it off, fuelled by vengeance and the power to do so, I couldn't get enough of her. With the way the story was  written we were able to experience Yael's life in the present as well as the past, I enjoyed this immensely because we got to hear what each of her wolf tattoos meant and the story behind them. With my mini obsession of tattoos, it satisfied a small craving of mine. 
   With Yael being undercover, I could always feel myself screaming in my head going, "TELL THEM THE TRUTH." I guess you could say I could never work undercover. Either way, a situation like that would put an enormous amount of pressure on a person, and it was good to see Yael feel that pressure in the story. It was shown in the way she acted, and I'm glad it was because we are only human, little indications like those are what connected me to the character.  
   Felix and Luka were my favourite, I knew where I should have stood with both of them even though I really didn't stand there. I loved the characteristics of Felix, how he was so caring and just wanted what was best for his sister, especially after their brother, he acted the way I would for my sisters. But I would constantly be aggravated at him because I thought he would mess everything up on multiple occasions. Then for Luka, I knew never to trust him but I couldn't help but want him to be with Adele/Yael. I was on a fence for both of them.
   Finally the race, I loved the description and layout of the map. No adventure doesn't go without it's disadvantages and struggles, like the sandstorms and landslide. I'm glad Graudin incorporated them into the story, it wouldn't have felt legitimate without them. The only thing I wished was different was how we didn't really learn much about the bikes, with Felix there you'd think we'd have had learnt more about them considering he was a mechanic. For someone who doesn't know anything about motorcycles, I didn't really know what to picture.
   Wolf by Wolf was full of raw emotions, and an adventure of a lifetime that left us desperately needing to know what happens next. Hopefully the sequel doesn't take too long to release, because I'm going to need it yesterday!
   

Spoiler:
   I have a theory for the sequel, I think Aaron-Klasu actually killed the Führer when he tried to assassinate him. But like the retaliation said, because the kill wasn't really shown they were able to pull off replacing him with a skinshifer.  So that's who Yael killed. If my theory is true then the troubles for the sequel shouldn't be as bad, but knowing Graudin that won't be the case.


Rating:






Favourite Quote:


"Sometimes people have to die to make things better."


Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Historical Fiction, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Shapeshifters, Motorcycles 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!