Sunday, May 3, 2015

Book Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

Release Date: May 5th, 2015
Read: January 6th-7th, 2015
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's
Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses #1
Format: ARC paperback, 432 pages
Source: Won


Description from GoodReads:



   When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.

   As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, and Feyre must find a way to stop it . . . or doom Tamlin—and his world—forever.


Review:


Contains Minor Spoiler:

   When I kill, I do it slow.....
   This book broke me. Ripped me to shreds, snapped my heart in two, broke me. I had won A Court of Thorns and Roses on Twitter where Bloomsbury said it was the first ever ARC. I had read Throne of Glass before I had won the giveaway but it wasn't a favourite of mine, but I was hopeful because all my friends who had read the series said the sequel, Crown of Midnight was, where the amazing happened. I ended off putting A Court of Thorns and Roses for a bit because of how I felt towards Throne of Glass, but eventually many others started to get it. They would read it and love it, so I decided that it was time to give it a try. My only regrets are taking so long to read it and for reading it so early, now I have to wait FOREVER of the sequel.
   I'm a huge fan of retellings, they are some of my all time favourites. Beauty and the Beast is my number one, so that was one of the reasons I was super excited for ACOTAR. Maas has made the best retelling by far, she tried her best to incorporate a bunch of things from the original story. The father being a merchant, the living conditions for Feyre's family, 'evil' sisters, curses from fairies, and finally of course a beast. Most of the time when you hear retelling it tends to mean a retelling of the Disney movie rather then the original story, so I was ecstatic when I realized that wasn't the case. Even though she did have some similarities, the original story was visible more then the Disney one was.
   With each of the incorporations from the original stories, Maas would give some of them her own personal touch. Where as Belle normally would be found of books, Feyre loves to paint, or that everyone was fairies instead of just the witch that originally curses Adam.(The beast) It made everything feel so much more Maasy and give it a personal touch.
   Maas also made sure to leave a bunch of little loose threads for the next few books to come, and I'm glad she did. Now all I have to do is get over the pain of having to wait for them!
   I had only one question when it came to ACOTAR, why did Maas choose for Feyre to go with Rhys for 1 week out of each month? I was reading an ARC, so maybe she had meant to say year? Either way I am curious..
   A Court of Thorns and Roses has become of the my all time favourite books, it's gotten to the point where I also had to pre-order a finished copy. I highly recommend you do the same, I promise you won't regret it. Now to wait a year for the sequel.
 
 
 

Rating:





Favourite Quote:


   "Because I wouldn't want to die alone, because I'd want same to hold my hand until the end, and awhile after that. That's something everyone deserves, human or faerie."  ~ Feyre


Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance, Paranormal, Retellings, Fey, Beauty and the Beast





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!