Sunday, February 22, 2015

Book Review: Lailah by Nikki Kelly

Lailah by Nikki Kelly


Release Date: October 7th, 2014
Read: February 16-19th, 2015
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Series: The Styclar Saga #1
Format: Hardcover, 416 pages
Source: Gift



Description from GoodReads:


   The girl knows she’s different. She doesn’t age. She has no family. She has visions of a past life, but no clear clues as to what she is, or where she comes from. But there is a face in her dreams – a light that breaks through the darkness. She knows his name is Gabriel.

   On her way home from work, the girl encounters an injured stranger whose name is Jonah. Soon, she will understand that Jonah belongs to a generation of Vampires that serve even darker forces. Jonah and the few like him, are fighting with help from an unlikely ally – a rogue Angel, named Gabriel.

   In the crossfire between good and evil, love and hate, and life and death, the girl learns her name: Lailah. But when the lines between black and white begin to blur, where in the spectrum will she find her place? And with whom?

   Gabriel and Jonah both want to protect her. But Lailah will have to fight her own battle to find out who she truly is.


Review:


   I lost you to darkness. You disappeared.
   When ARCs came out for Lailah, the book became all the rage on Twitter. No one could stop talking about it. So obviously I needed to get a copy and see what the commotion was about, but time went by and it was released (October) and I had't gotten a copy yet. I got myself a copy for Christmas, and was finally able to read it. Sadly, unlike my Twitter friends Lailah was not for me.
   Everything bout this book frustrated me, the story, the characters, everything. I can't even explain it, I would constantly role my eyes at everything the characters did, said or thought. The characters were just plain ridiculous to me, there was supposed to be a love triangle in this book but I could not even see a romantic connection between any of the characters. Besides Hanora's obvious interest and Lailah's past memories nothing should have been viewed as romantic.
   The story also felt like it had a bunch of holes in it, the way everything was put together, why the characters went to the places they did, along with a bunch of what I thought was obvious problems. One upside I felt about the book was that even with everything I said above, the book still made you want to finish it.
   I had high hopes for Lailah, considering it was one of my most anticipated books of Fall 2014. As much as I really wanted to love Lailah, I just couldn't because like I said, it just frustrated me too much.


Rating:

Favourite Quote:


   " Much like the road, I was far from living; I merely existed." ~ Lailah


Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Paranormal, Fantasy, Supernatural, Vampires, Angels, Demons, Heaven, Hell





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!