Sunday, November 23, 2014

Book Review: Compulsion by Martina Boone

Release Date: October 28th, 2014
Read: November 9th-17th, 2014
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Series: Heirs of Watson Island #1
Format: Hardcover, 448 pages
Source: Bought


Description from GoodReads:


   Three plantations. Two wishes. One ancient curse.

   All her life, Barrie Watson has been a virtual prisoner in the house where she lives with her shut-in mother. When her mother dies, Barrie promises to put some mileage on her stiletto heels. But she finds a new kind of prison at her aunt’s South Carolina plantation instead--a prison guarded by an ancient spirit who long ago cursed one of the three founding families of Watson Island and gave the others magical gifts that became compulsions.

   Stuck with the ghosts of a generations-old feud and hunted by forces she cannot see, Barrie must find a way to break free of the family legacy. With the help of sun-kissed Eight Beaufort, who knows what Barrie wants before she knows herself, the last Watson heir starts to unravel her family's twisted secrets. What she finds is dangerous: a love she never expected, a river that turns to fire at midnight, a gorgeous cousin who isn’t what she seems, and very real enemies who want both Eight and Barrie dead.


Review:


It doesn't matter how great your shoes are if you don't accomplish anything in them.
   I had first heard about Compulsion on Twitter from all my blogger friends, they had all gotten ARCs and adored the book. Obviously it peaked my interest, so I looked into the book and author some more! Martina is a blogger for YA books as well as an author! She first started blogging on a site called Adventures in YA Publishing, then moved on to blog at other sites as well! Anyhow the summery for Compulsion made me just as excited to read the book as I did finding out about Martina being a blogger!
   I loved the summery of Compulsion, I've always been a paranormal/ fantasy type girl. The book stuck almost directly to it and had so much more to offer! I was so intrigued with the Fire Carrier and the yunwi, I just had to know more about them! The folklore behind the yunwi is fascinating, I hope we learn a lot more about them in the next upcoming books!
   The characters in Compulsion were all imperfect in their own ways, you could easily related to their personalities. Barrie's stubbornness, Eight's need to make everyone happy, and Cassie's need to be better then everyone else. Most people can relate to at least two of the three, I know I can anyhow!
   Most of the time when someone reads a book the book takes place in a town or city that the reader doesn't live close too or hasn't visited before, so they just except the description of the place without a second thought. I was lucky to have been able to actually read Compulsion while I was in Charleston, SC. While in Charleston I was able to visit a Plantation like the Watson Plantation, we visited the Magnolia Plantation so I was able to fully picture how Watson Landing looked. The way Martina described Watson Landing, was almost the exact same as the Magnolia Plantation, it was a pretty amazing feeling to actually know how a setting looks in real life. I highly recommend visiting a setting you hold dear to you from a book setting. It made Compulsion that much more of an entertaining read.
   Overall I very much enjoyed Compulsion, I only had one problem with it. I kept having this nagging feeling that the book needed something extra, like perhaps an extra hook to pull you in.
   Compulsion was full of new and unexplored adventures, and a marvellous read. I can not wait for Persuasion, the sequel to Compulsion to come out! I've already read the summery and I am practically dying to get a copy in the hands! Persuasion releases October 27th, 2015.

Slaves to Freedom Tour, Magnolia Plantation & Gardens,
Charleston SC, November 2014

  

Rating:



Favourite Quote:

“But there was a difference between being stuck and choosing to stay. Between being found and finding yourself.”  ~

Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance, Paranormal, Gothic, Southern Gothic, Ghosts





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!