Friday, August 8, 2014

Book Review: Oceanborn by Amalie Howard

Read: July 19-25th, 2014
Release Date: July 29th, 2014
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Series: The Aquarathi
Format: Paperback, 384 pages
Source: Author in exchange for honest review/ book pendants


Description from GoodReads:


   The coronation is over. 

   But the battle has just begun. 

   Nerissa Marin has won her crown. But can she keep it? Already, her ties to the human realm are driving a wedge between Nerissa and her people. When word arrives that her part-human prince consort, Lo, has been poisoned, she makes the difficult choice to leave Waterfell and return landside. As the royal courts debate her decision, even more disturbing rumors surface: a plot is rising against her, led by someone she least expects. 

   On land, Nerissa learns another shocking truth: Lo does not remember who she is. As her choice to try to save him threatens her hold on her crown, changing loyalties and uncertainty test her courage in ways she could never have imagined. Nerissa will have one last chance to prove herself as a queen …and save the undersea kingdom she loves.


Review:


Contains Spoilers:

Fight, Nerissa.
   When I finished Waterfell I needed to get my hands on Oceanborn immediately.  When I finally did, I died of happiness. Waterfell was one of my favourite reads for 2013 and Oceanborn was easily another favourite for 2014.
   Oceanborn starts only a few months after Waterfell left off, with Nerissa ruling the Aquarathi in the ocean. While Waterfell was mostly about Niss being in hiding and living a human life, Oceanborn focuses a lot more on the royal side of her life. We may have only been in the royal court for a small period of time, the royal entourage followed Niss back to the human world where we definitely saw a lot of them. I really liked this change from Waterfell, with more of the royal attitude to the book we got to see both sides of Nerissa, the teenage girl and the Aquarathi Queen.
   At this point I have to believe our characters have the worst luck, or it could have been that Niss and Speio grew up together and that they make the same mistakes. Either way bonding didn't/doesn't come easy for them. Niss accidentally bonded with Lo and now Speio accidentally bonded with Rian.  I knew something was up with Rian from the beginning, but now we know why. This was a big plot twist for the series and I can't wait to find out where it leads us.
   I find that when reading a book before it's officially released causes me heartaches, the reason? The wait is even longer for the next book and must I say. I need the third book now, like right now.  Fortunately while I wait, I will definitely will check out Amalie's ebook novella from Speios point of view called SeaMonster.


Rating:






Favourite Quote:


"In case I haven't told you lately, I love you." ~ Lo

Recommend to People Who Enjoy:

Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal, Mermaids, Aliens, Queens, Surfing





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!