Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Book Review: Branded by Abi Ketner & Missy Kalicicki

Release Date: June 3rd, 2014
Read: May 26-30th, 2014
Publisher: Abi and Missy Books
Series: Sinner #1
Format: E-ARC, 314 pages
Source: NetGalley 


Description from GoodReads:


Fifty years ago the Commander came into power and murdered all who opposed him. In his warped mind, the seven deadly sins were the downfall of society. He created the Hole where sinners are branded according to their sins and might survive a few years. At best. 

Now LUST wraps around my neck like blue fingers strangling me. I’ve been accused of a crime I didn’t commit and now the Hole is my new home. 



Darkness. Death. Violence. Pain. 



Now every day is a fight for survival. But I won’t die. I won’t let them win.

The Hole can’t keep me. The Hole can’t break me. 
I am more than my brand. I’m a fighter. 
My name is Lexi Hamilton, and this is my story.


Review:

You can overcome anything...short of death.
   I was kind of iffy when I heard about Branded, the way it was introduced to me threw me off a bit. The plot intrigued me, but I was a bit worried. Normally under the circumstances that they were I would avoid the book, but as I said the plot intrigued me. So I gave it a try, I'm glad I did.
   The concept of being branded was some what new to me, to be marked for our sins is really rather tragic. Everyday no matter what life we live, no matter how hard we try we will always sin. There are 7 deadly sins, lust, gluttony, greed, slouch, wrath, envy and pride. The Hole is where all the people branded with these sins live. Throughout the book we heard about these different people who had sins and were branded for it, but we only really experienced maybe 2 of the sins. I was sad about that, I was hoping we'd get to experience at least a little bit of the other branded sinners. Maybe have the main character be introduced to them and hear their story. Besides the other sinners I had thought the brands made everyone in the compond unique.
   A topic in the book that really got to me was being branded blue, or lust. In the novel, the male characters treated Lexi as an object rather then a human being. Just because someone is marked/called a whore or slut doesn't mean you have to treat them as one. Rape is another thing, I understand that it is supposed to be a crap hole of a life in the Hole, but you could still have a decent life if you tried to there. You don't have to go and try to use the next pretty girl that walks by. Have respect and treat others the way you would like to be treated.
   Branded was my first ever ebook read that I just couldn't put down, I was happy to have the chance to have read an early copy. I will be looking forward for Sinners #2.

P.S I totally called who the Commander was from the beginning! Knew it, knew it, KNEW IT!


Rating:



Favourite Quote:

"Meet Zeus, my crap-for-brains guard dog." ~ Cole



Recommend to People Who Enjoy:

Young Adult, Science Fiction, Romance, New Adult, Fantasy, Apocalyptic 





2 comments:

  1. Great review. I loved this book when I read it last summer so much so I'm going to be re-reviewing the newer addition next month.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!